Coda File System

reliability,performance ?

From: Michel Brabants <michel.brabants_at_euphonynet.be>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:18:12 +0200
Hello,

I've been following coda from time to time, but at the moment I'm really
looking for a distributed filesystem. This is in the beginning as a back-end
for the subversion-server at our office. I've found the following 3 options:

 * coda
 * gfarmfs
 * lustre

I like coda, because of it's disconnected operation, security(?, kerberos v5?)
and because it is the standard kernel. The fact that it already is present in
the kernel reduces the maintenance a lot. I also think that coda is the most
accessible from a non-commercial-user/community-point of view.

Ofcourse, the others also have their advantages :).

I believe that this question has been asked in the past, but I would like to
ask it again :). I hope you don't mind it too much. Is coda ready to use it
in a production-environment?
In our case this means that the product should work reliable. So, there
shouldn't be any data-loss because of product-mistakes. I would like to ask
you what your thought about this is? How reliable is coda? When not? Is there
a timeframe in which you think that coda will be reliable?
Ofcourse, it should also be performant. Do you think that coda is quite
performant? Can it transfer at high speads? If there are any, could you give
some examples?
I read that someone wrote a patch to authenticate against kerberos v5. We use
kerberos v5-authentication. Has it been merged?
We need secure(checksum or similar, and encryption) data-transfer ... So, can
the data be encrypted or has this to be done "externally"? What are the types
of checksums(?), encryption?

I might also run coda at home :-) and I think that my preferred requirements
would look the same :).

Thank you for your time and response,

Michel Brabants