Coda File System

Re: some topology questions

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:39:48 +0200
On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 06:02:18PM +0200, Benedikt Spranger wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to setup coda in the following network topology:

> Where should I setup the SCM to get the best performance?

Hi Benedikt,

The question is rather "where to place the server(s)", as there is
nothing special with SCM, concerning performance.

Apparently you want to place your servers so that they
  have maximum bandwidth to Internet
  have static global ip-numbers
  (see http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2006/8079.html)

> I split up my projects into hobby and work. Should I run more then one SCM?

Thi question means probably whether you should run more than one realm.

The answer depends on how the available resources are administered.
Logically you can make a clear distinction between different kind of data
inside the same realm. On the other side, a realm is "a realm of
administration". You possibly do not want your coworkers to be able to
administer (say take backup of or be able to change access lists on) your
private hobby data. As long as you are your own boss and the only Coda
administrator in both cases, it is mostly a matter of taste.

Hope it helps somehow.
Regards, Rune