Coda File System

Re: Maximum Venus Cache Size

From: Phil Nelson <phil_at_cs.wwu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:30:50 -0700
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 19:11, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > 4. 4-5 GB
>
> type 4 files may be a problem, since we only use 32-bit integers over
> the wire. I 'think' the client won't even let you write that much, but
> if it does there is a pretty good chance that the file will end up being
> truncated once the filesize wraps, so you'd actually end up storing only
> the last GB of such files.

As long as you need only read-only access to these files, you can use the
big-file feature of the Windows client.   You can easily turn these into
one of the smaller category files.  It does increase your total file count
and makes the files available only when in connected mode, but it does make
them available.

> Either start the client with an init flag (venus -init),

This does not work well on Windows since starting venus "by hand" will
have venus run as the user that started it.  Run as a service runs it
as SYSTEM.   And even an administrator doesn't have permission to read
the venus cache when created as SYSTEM.

> or create an
> empty file named 'INIT' in the cache directory (/usr/coda/venus.cache

This is the way I always re-init venus on Windows.

--Phil

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.NetBSD.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           Coda: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu