Coda File System

Getting Started with Coda on AMD64

From: Brian DeRocher <brian_at_derocher.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:53:42 -0500
Hello,

I'm trying to setup an amd64 coda server.  Below i'll explain my
environment, the steps i've taken so far, and my issues :(

Server: AMD Opteron 265, 2GB ram, 1TB disk, hardware RAID, running
Debian stable (sarge) with a 2.6.17-mm6 kernel (for the areca driver)
coda kernel module loaded.

I started following the instructions here:
http://coda.wikidev.net/The_Coda_Administration_and_User_Manual

I downloaded, compiled, and installed these:
package		version
liblua5.1-0	5.1.1-2
liblwp2		2.3
librpc2-4	2.4
librvm1		1.13
coda-server	6.0.16
coda-update	6.0.16
coda-client	6.0.16

vice-setup seemed to work ok.  I'm using separate partitions for
rvm_log and rvm_data.

When i start up venus, it mounts /coda.  I added my realm to
/etc/coda/realms and i can view /coda/naturals/ which is empty.
I can also view /coda/coda.cs.cmu.edu/ and its files.

I created a new user brian with pdbtool, but i can't change his
password with au.   I get the same output four different ways.

two:/# au [-x] [-h two.naturals] cp
Your Vice name: admin
Your password:
RPC2_Bind() --> RPC2_SUCCESS
User name: brian
New password: ********
AuthChangePasswd() --> AUTH_FAILED

/vice/srv/SrvLog is not updated.
/vice/auth2/AuthLog has this
Starting  Auth Server......

Date: Tue 12/19/2006

15:26:38 Server successfully started
15:27:17        vid = 22
15:27:17 AuthNewConn(0x4113dc58, 0, 66, 2, -1)

clog seems to work.

two:/# clog admin
username: admin_at_naturals
Password: <wrong password>
Invalid login (RPC2_NOBINDING (F)).
two:/# echo $?
1
two:/# clog admin
username: admin_at_naturals
Password: <correct password>
two:/# echo $?
0

two:/coda/naturals# touch a
touch: cannot touch `a': Permission denied

two:/coda/naturals# cfs la /coda/naturals
      System:AnyUser  rl
System:Administrators  rlidwka

two:/coda/naturals# pdbtool list
USER System
  *  id: 1
  *  belongs to groups: [ -2 ]
  *  cps: [ -2 1 ]
  *  owns groups: [ -2 ]
USER admin
  *  id: 22
  *  belongs to groups: [ -1 ]
  *  cps: [ -1 22 ]
  *  owns groups: [ -1 ]
GROUP System:AnyUser OWNED BY System
  *  id: -2
  *  owner id: 1
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -2 ]
  *  has members: [ 1 ]
GROUP System:Administrators OWNED BY admin
  *  id: -1
  *  owner id: 22
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ -1 ]
  *  has members: [ 22 ]
USER brian
  *  id: 23
  *  belongs to no groups
  *  cps: [ 23 ]
  *  owns no groups

Any idea what's going on here or what i can do to resolve these issues?

I do have an MIT Kerberos KDC running on this machine, but Coda doesn't
use it, right?

thanks,
Brian
--