Coda File System

Re: Can coda replace Microsoft DFS?

From: Jerry Amundson <jamundso_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:25:21 -0600
On 1/27/07, Jeff Greer <jeff_at_greergan.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Please consider the following scenario and tell me if I am in the right
> place.
>
> 10 web servers currently Windows/DFS

Sounds ok currently, why change?
New hardware included?

> All configured to run multiple web services and corba servers
> (web<->corba<->database)
> Roughly 2 gig of program/java jar/web/XSL files
> A couple of hundred directories
>
> Generally there will not be many write actions to the file system...only
> when a configuration is tweaked, an XSL file is modfied or a new web is
> deployed.

Nothing too extraordinary so far...

> I need to replicate a production environment across all web servers.
> All web servers would have to be coda clients as well as servers.

That could be a problem. See
http://coda.wikidev.net/Why_to_avoid_a_client/server_combination
I don't think the current release changes that.. though by starting
from scratch, you could make them virtual with each system, eg. Xen,
vmware, etc.

> There will be less than 10 additional clients which would be windows
> XP/windows 2003 servers.
> The XP clients would be remote and the server-clients would be on the local
> lan with the web servers.

I've seen Coda for Windows activity lately, though I don't know if
they consider it "production"...

jerry

--
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"