Coda File System

Re: coda looses group ownership

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:29:02 +0100
On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:49:05PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> The big problem is how to bring these two different concepts
> together.

Enrico,

it is basically impossible.

1. one of them is just a very small subset of the other
2. Coda and local uids/gids belong to different worlds and can not
be mapped to each other, not without putting very certain and harmful
constraints, basically removing globality.

> take care of that), we can easily map ACLs to unix permissions
> and vice versa. Venus can maintain an table of mappings between
> local and coda groups.

In the general case you can not. You are thinking of special cases
which happen to be of interest for you, and then some workarounds are
possible. Not otherwise.

> So, for example if I run chgrp on some file, it actually
> replaces the group in the 3rd trustee.

It is more complicated, see above.

Regards, Rune