Coda File System

Theory of writeback

From: Martin Ginkel <martin_ginkel_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:38:00 +0100
Dear Coda Experts,

I use coda for my laptop, often connected via a "not-so-fast" wireless
link to the server. I use my music-collection from that server
and play the music via amarok.
In principle the files should only be read while playing,
which would mean, venus should accumulate my favourite tracks and
have all of them in the cache without changes.
But to my impression, that coda writes back the (relatively large)
files much too often, causing delays and interruptions.
What I definitly know is, that the files written to the server are
bit-identical to their original version.

Can someone explain, what condition triggers venus to start writing
back the file (Why?),
which calls have to happen: fopen("file","w"); close(), is a write()
necessary. And when does this happen (the close() call?).

I'm in the process to debug this. It might be that amarok does something
wrong, but I'm not sure.

	TIA
	Martin