Coda File System

Re: git and coda

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:53:55 -0400
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 09:43:32PM +0200, u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/git.html mentions:
>
> ...gitk needs a small patch to recurse through these per-developer directories.
>
> I wonder if this has been incorporated into mainstream git (looks useful
> in general), or if there is a patch to be applied to git to make it fully
> "Coda-friendly"?

There are actually some changes in git that are not as friendly for a
shared repository, however most of those are optional or don't apply to
'bare' repositories. Specifically the newly introduced packed refs
format (which is optional) and the fact that pruning a repository tries
to remove the individual object directories.

Over time, my workflow probably changed from what is documented in the
webpage you mentioned.

On my desktop I simply cloned the repository from /coda and use git
fetch/pull/push to keep it in sync. On my laptop I cloned the repository
as it is exported by git-daemon,

    $ git remote show origin
    * remote origin
      Remote branch(es) merged with 'git pull' while on branch master
	master
      Remote branch(es) merged with 'git pull' while on branch pending
	jaharkes/pending

And added a second repository which is used to push my local changes back,

    $ git remote show coda
    * remote coda
      Local branch(es) pushed with 'git push'
	pending:jaharkes/pending

This way I can update the source on my laptop even when my local Coda
client is 'temporarily unavailable', but updates are still written back
through /coda.

Most experimental changes are first tested on my laptop partly because
it sees the most varied network conditions, both wireless and wired
networks at CMU as well as a cable modem connection from home and
occasionally a dialup or GPRS connection when I'm "on the road".