Coda File System

Re: coda-client questions

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:16:39 -0400
On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:36:38PM +0200, Czuczy Gergely wrote:
> > Can you send packets to the codasrv port and receive the replies,
> >
> >     rpc2ping testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> >     (I think rpc2ping is actually part of the coda-server package).
> RPC2 connection to testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu:2432 failed with
> RPC2_NOBINDING (F).
>
> I needed to allow not just TCP connections to that box, now it shows:

Right Coda uses UDP, firewalls can be tricky especially very strict ones
that only allow a single incoming UDP packet for each outgoing UDP
packet, ones that send every outgoing packet from a different local
port, or masquerading firewalls that expire the redirection before the
next rpc2 probe is sent.

I've tuned the probe interval so that Coda seems to work across typical
Linux and BSD based masquerading firewalls, but there are still several
others that seem to have extremely short lifespan for UDP redirections
(in the order of 30 seconds or less it seems) and I generally don't want
clients to ping all servers quite that often.

> however:
> # cfs lv /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu: No such device or address

The Coda client process is not running, it may have crashed when it
tried to remove the realm's mountpoint when the volume location query
failed.

> # getvolinfo testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu /
> RPC2 connection to testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu:2432 successful.
> Returned volume information for /
>         VolumeId 7f000000
>         Type3 id 7f000000
>         ServerCount 1
>         Replica0 id 01000001, Server0 128.2.194.223

That looks good.

> So I've found a misconfig in the firewall, but it's still not working
> after fixing that. What should I check next?

You probably just need to unmount /coda and restart venus.

    /etc/init.d/coda-client restart