Coda File System

Re: Upload very slow

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:36:44 -0400
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 05:50:40PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> I've just uploaded a few mp3 file (total 5MB) to coda. The server
> is connected via an (DTAG) DSL line, the client via cable.
> Roundtrip tiem is 98ms.
>
> The volume is also mounted on the server.
>
> Now about 10mins went by and only half of the files appeared on
> the server side.
>
> Codacon doesnt show much happening, but often DisconnectFS'.
> "cfs checkservers" shows "All servers up" very quickly and
> then codacon shows BackProbe. But this doesnt seem to help much.
>
> What's wrong here ?

If you often see disconnectfs, that is typically an indication that
there is a masquerading firewall between you and the servers that is
is forgetting about the nat redirection and server->client packets are
dropped. Or we are possibly timing out trying to send requests from the
client to the servers.

If there is a masquerading firewall problem, the server logs would
show that it sees the client reconnecting from different port numbers.

What sometimes helps is to lower the serverprobe interval in venus.conf
on the clients, that way they ping the servers more frequently which
should keep the NAT redirections alive.