Coda File System

Re: What is the max file system size on a 64 bit machine

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:11:27 -0500
On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 07:23:19PM +0100, u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 12:18:49PM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 06:27:41PM +0100, u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se wrote:
> > > Note that rvm is still 32-bit, so it does not matter if the processor is
> > > capable of 64-bit addressing.
> >
> > On a 64-bit system, RVM actually uses 64-bit memory addressing. It
> > pretty much has to because it presents itself to the application as a
> > memory region with transactional properties (commit/rollback and
> > persistence).
>
> My bad! Thanks for correcting.
>
> My impression is though that this addressing possibility is hardly usable
> by Coda servers/clients due to the rest of the code (and the protocols)
> containing 32-bit limitations. What is the situation in this respect?

The 32-bit limitations are on things like the size of individual files
and IPv4-only addresses.

The kind of information that is sent back and forth between Coda clients
and servers. The memory address of some internal file object is never
sent across the net, so we can just use whatever pointer values the
local machine uses, which can be 64-bit.