Coda File System

Re: Files Bigger Than Cache Size

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:08:20 +0100
Hi Gordan,

I think there are answers to your questions in the Coda mailing list
archive, but I could agree it is not easy to search.
(You may help others in a similar situation by putting the questions
with answers on Coda wiki)

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:42:35AM +0000, coda_at_bobich.net wrote:
> How does Coda client handle cases where the file being accessed is bigger
> than the cache size?

It doesn't.

> The howto says not to use caches bigger than 300MB.

I am routinely running with 2GB cache.

> So, what happens when I need to use, say, a 4.5GB DVD ISO? How is this
> condition handled?

It is not.

1. Coda does not handle files over 2G in size.
2. A Coda client reads the whole file into the cache at open() so unless
you have a _really_ fast network you do not usually want to wait as long.

Best regards,
Rune