Coda File System

Re: Coda for home directories and NIS vs. Kerberos

From: Davor Ocelic <docelic_at_mail.inet.hr>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:26:08 -0500
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 09:18:32PM +0000, coda_at_bobich.net wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> Except, as you just pointed out, ACLs and owner/group semantics are so
> fundamentally different that the best ls can hope to achieve is either
> not list the owner/group at all, or list them as some special value
> (e.g. "coda"). So might as well not bother.

You can make ls use the --no-group option and get rid of the
group column.

For user column, I still like to see it as it gives you an information
of who created the file.

> Just out of interest - is chowning files in coda meaningful? Or does it
> just change the ls listed info and not change access rights in any way?

In AFS, there is a special provision made for interoperability with
Unix - person to which a file is chowned has implicit 'all' rights
on the file. Does this work that way in Coda too?

-doc