Coda File System

Aetey's Coda installers (was Re: Coda on Ubuntu 7.10, RPC2 failing)

From: <u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:47:41 +0200
Hi Andy,

I think you owe me an apology.

All of the Coda installers' parts are open source, including the parts we (Aetey)
have developed from scratch.

You wrote:

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:34:12PM -0700, Andy Valencia wrote:
> --------
> [u+codalist-p4pg_at_chalmers.se writes:]
> > I would be able to try to help, given that you used our (Aetey's)
> > installer (from http://www.aetey.se/index.php?Static&pg=CodaInstHowto).
> > This doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> Right, I installed from CMU's distribution.  It looks like your package
> is closed source and proprietary.  Thank you for your offer of help, but
> I would prefer to press on with plain old open source Coda.

The links to the source code are prominently displayed on the page with the url
given above, right below the links for the installer binaries themselves.

You have not only made a conclusion without having had a look at what you judge,
but even announced the (wrong) judgement to the list... not very nice.

Note, for many people "closed source and proprietary" looks like an insult.

The fact that the installer is in binary form does not make it more closed
than, say, a .deb package.
We just did for you a big deal of work you are insisting on doing yourself.

I do not want any flame wars here about business ventures versus open sores

but please no FUD about the Coda installer, ok?

It is for the community and it is open.

Regards,
Rune