Coda File System

running a coda server from behind a NAT

From: Martin Wetterstedt <martin_at_wetterstedt.se>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:54:21 +0200
Hi!

I wonder if someone would be helpful to outline the strategy of running
a coda server behind a NAT (from the point of view of a coda client
outside the NAT).

In more detail:

I want to set up a coda server sitting in a local network. The local
address to the server is 192.168.0.100. The address of the NAT is
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Ideally, the server should be reachable from within the
local network as well as from the outside. From the outside the NAT is
normally reached by it's IP-number.

I only intend to have one server in the system.

As I see it the questions are the following:

* How do I configure the server? I prefer to set it up without a proper
DNS. How do I deal with its dual (one local and the one that the NAT
has) IP-addresses? What ports should the NAT forward.

* Can I set up the clients in a way so that they can work without
reconfiguring, regardless of if they are sitting on the local network or
not, ie outside?

I guess that are my questions. Any more obstacles? I would be very
grateful for help with this. I have already read the documentation and
Wiki, but have not been able to set this up completely from that
description.

Thanks beforehand,
Martin