Coda File System

Re: Coda newbie

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 06:33:18 -0400
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Andy Valencia wrote:

> --------
> [u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se writes:]
>
>> If the distribution does not cripple the kernel, Coda will work fine.
>
> FYI, for FreeBSD 7.0 I found that the latest Coda stuff was in the ports
> tree, but this didn't include the kernel module.  All I could find on the
> kernel side was back an entire revision.  I was in an environment which
> already had Coda running, so I didn't want to drop back a rev.
>
> I queried here, and didn't get a response.  So I'm assuming that tracking
> FreeBSD is not much of a priority.

(Joining this thread late due to a busy August)

As far as I'm aware, the kernel module shipped in FreeBSD 7.0 should speak
fine to the latest Coda user components.  I don't believe there have been
significant changes in the protocol between Coda kernel and user parts in
quite a long time.

I have made significant improvements to the kernel module that will be shipped
with FreeBSD 7.1 in a couple of months.  It should be possible to compile the
new version of the kernel module on a 7.0 system as they have basically the
same KPI for VFS.  It may even be possible to simply use the 7.1 Coda kernel
module on 7.0, although I would discourage that.

I've been thinking about removing support for older Coda versions in the
FreeBSD module, since they're done at compile-time, and this list is probably
a good a list as any to ask about it.

Finally, as Rune reports, there is a reported issue with the Linux ABI
emulation and the Coda kernel modules.  It's unclear to me whether this is a
bug in the ABI emulation layer or the Coda kernel module, and unfortunately
I've not had time to track down that issue.  It would be good to get that
fixed before FreeBSD 7.1 ships.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge