Coda File System

Re: Server changing IP address

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:16:11 +0100
Hi Fredrik,

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 01:25:17PM +0100, Fredrik Roubert wrote:
> It seems to me that the Coda client upon first connecting to a server
> caches the server's IP address so that if the server later changes IP
> address, the client won't do a new DNS lookup but continue trying to
> connect to the old IP address. Is that so? If so, is there any way to

That's right.

> get a client to update the IP address of a server? (It is, of course,
> possible to re-initialize the client, but that will loose the cache.)

Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge not any reliable way.
As for today you should reinit all your clients when
a server you are using changes its adress. This is going to improve
but the corresponding fix is a hard one and will take time.

At reinit you may want to keep a copy of the old cache contents
and supply it to venus via mklka.

If you are using the current Aetey's Coda client installer ("cocli",
http://www.aetey.se/index.php?Static&pg=CodaInstHowto ), it will
take care of this operation when you reinit with -i flag (but will
not if you use -I).

Regards,
Rune