Coda File System

Re: Interesting use case for Coda and trying to build for Ubuntu lpia

From: Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski_at_wayga.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:14:48 -0500
On 03/03/2009 02:19 PM, Jan Harkes wrote:
> The version of LWP installed on your system is too old, you probably
> need to build/install version 2.5. (and update to rpc2-2.8 and rvm-1.16)
>
> The source archives for these should be here,
>     http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/src/
>
> Jan
>
> As an aside, as of the -6.9.4 release, the easiest way to get a
> consistent build is to actually move the lwp, rpc2 and rvm sources into
> the Coda source tree under lib-src and build everything as one, i.e.
> [...]
I'm using Ubuntu and *strongly* prefer to use packages where possible.
In this case, I was able to get the coda-provided source packages for
lwp (and rpc2 and rvm) and get those compiled.  Everything worked with a
few slight changes and I have it running in lpia now.

To start going off-thread (already?) I noticed that metadata is really
really slow, like two minutes to do an ls -la of a directory with 64
files in it but instantly once it's done the first time.  Is there any
way to get that to have it load and remain cached on the local side?
This makes it really difficult do to things like rsync since so much
time is spent looking up files.

-Mark