Coda File System

Re: Newbie: client setup problems

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 06:42:20 +0200
Hi Alec,

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 11:12:28PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:
> A newbie trying to set up coda is running into troubles. I have set up
> one server, a local client on  the server, and a laptop client. All
> seems to run OK, I can clog and access the server files as expected. In
> particular, I can use the laptop both from the local network with the
> server, and from at least one remote site using openvpn to gain access
> to the server network.

> Problem is that another laptop just refuses to clog. Any clog attempt
> returns the standard "Invalid login" message.

My first guess of possible troubles would be DNS setup.

Coda depends on DNS which must resolve properly for your server.
DNS may be tricky when it is used with private networks as DNS is normally
global while private networks aren't.

Coda is also global so its natural usage is with public IP addresses for
the servers. It is also important (because of the current implementation)
that the server addresses remain constant, which should not matter for
clog itself though.

What exact error message do you get besides "Invalid login"?

A bad or differing keyboard key (different layouts?) for a character in
the password might also lead to clog problems.

Regards,
Rune