Coda File System

Re: Still newbie, server/auth2 setup...

From: Alec Leamas <leamas.alec_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 17:25:59 +0200
Thanks for your help...

On 07/04/2010 04:25 PM, Jan Harkes wrote:
[cut]

> I think your login might actually have succeeded, but that the kernel
> happens to show only a cached /coda from before the token was obtained
> and the act of authenticating doesn't invalidate this cache so you don't
> automatically see your realm appear. Combine this with the very
> simplistic method that ctokens uses to iterate through all available
> realms, it does a readdir() on /coda, and it may seem that your client
> didn't successfully authenticate.
>
> One thing to try is to specify the realm with ctokens, to make it not
> rely on readdir results, but check directly if we happen to have a token
> for that specific realm,
>
>      ctokens @testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
Indeed!  This lists my token.
> The second thing to realize is that authentication and accessing realms
> is somewhat independent of each other. You can make a realm appear by
> simply running "ls" or some other action on an unknown realm-name in
> /coda and if the client discovers a Coda server there it will
> automatically create a directory entry for the newly discovered realm.
>
>      ls /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
>
> Jan

Also this works (thanks!), and my confusion reaches an even higher level
in this game. Because now I have a token, and can list the directory
which contains my volumes. But the directory is not usable, and at a
closer inspection a dangling link:

$ ls -l /coda/muminmamman.leamas.net
lrw-r--r--. 1 root 65534 27 Jul  4 16:28 /coda/muminmamman.leamas.net ->
#@muminmamman.leamas.net
$ ls -l '/coda/#@muminmamman.leamas.net'
No such file or directory

It all looks consistent with your guess of the kernel using an old,
cached copy of /coda(?) Is there a way to refresh or invalidate this cache?

Cheers!

--alec