Coda File System

Re: 6.9.2 to 6.9.5 format change?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:01:49 -0500
On 03/11/2011 03:22 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I just updated pkgsrc from 6.9.2 to 6.9.5, plus rvm/rpc2/lwp, and found:
>
> 15:16:45 fatal error -- Recov_InitSeg: rvg validation failed, restart venus with -init
>
> The release notes don't have a huge warning in call caps about client
> format changes.  Reading them, I don't see anything which says this.
> Basically, I'm asking that any storage incompatibility, even for
> clients, be very loudly stated.

It was sort of documented in the NEWS file in the source tree,

  2008/02/06 RVM version 39
     Move store identifier from per-volume to global rvg struct.

But the release that actually contained this change was 6.9.4, which
ended up getting released about 11 months later on 2009/01/05. The fact
that there was an RVM incompatibility in the client had slipped my mind
by then, sorry about that.