Coda File System

Re: New work on Coda for Summer 2011

From: <u-codalist-s7mc_at_aetey.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:21:19 +0200
Hello Satya,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 06:36:40AM -0400, M Satyanarayanan wrote:
> I'd love for us to be able to say with reasonable confidence "This is
> the bare minimum that is absolutely needed for a fully
> self-contained Coda client."  (i.e. only command line support,
> but all tools such as "cfs", "repair", etc. work.  gcodacon
> might be exception since it requires GUI support; perhaps a
> non-GUI flavor of it is possible, e.g. the expanded volume-specific
> details using curses(3).)

> What we learn from this extreme shrinking might be of value in
> thinking about Coda in new worlds like Android.

Aetey's Coda client:

The self-unpacking archive:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2298636 2010-05-07 12:40 cocli-2.0-6.9.5-linux-ia32-2

As said it takes about 5MB on disk unpacked and above that as much as
desired for the cache and rvm.

It could be made slightly less if using a customary configured busybox
(for the moment we ship a generically compiled one which is an overkill
for Coda's purposes) and by using a better compression in the installer
(bz2 for the moment).

Thus I guess saying 2MiB (compressed) is sufficient for a fully functional
Coda client on ia32 is reasonable.

Note that this includes Kerberos support.

Are these the numbers you are looking for?

The installer has been tested within a really rudimentary Linux
environment: a kernel + kernel driver for the network with dhcp,
root fs and cache in ram, and it worked (of course).

It _is_ actually self-contained.

Regards,
Rune