Coda File System

Re: updated directories being removed from client cache

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:57:43 +1030
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 01:39:58PM +0100, u-codalist-rcma_at_aetey.se wrote:

> > 1) vi always claims that the file on disk is newer than the edited
> > buffer.  I suspect this is a stat(2) problem (possibly related to time_t
> > being extended) which I will dig into.
>
> I saw this some time, unfortunately do not remember on which platform.
> Nice if you can find the cause.

I think I have a cause but no fix yet :)

> > 2) I have noticed that modified directories disappear out of my client
> > cache after the changes have been integrated.  I can easily bring them
> > back in by accessing the directories in connected mode - I can see a
> > fetch of the affected directory happen in codacon when I do this.  It is
> > just a bit annoying is all - I effectively have to hoard the modified
> > directories otherwise when I go disconnected mode they are not
> > available.  This didn't happen in the past but I am not sure where to
> > look for this one - I am guessing venus but I am not 100% sure.
>
> I don't think I ever saw this (primarily running on Linux),
> my guess would be that venus and the kernel misunderstand each other
> on whether the directory object is up-to-date.

I think Jan explained what is probably happening.  I think doing a cfs
strong on the volume may have worked around the quirk - that is fine for
my purposes.

> Do you run Coda from git://coda.cs.cmu.edu/project/coda/dev ?

No, I use the releases.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com