Coda File System

Re: Coda development roadmap

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 08:12:22 -0400
Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 07:39:02AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> So you are really running into Linux bugs.   If an amd64 system is
>> running an i386 binary then it should expect the system call args to be
>> in the i386 format, because it is really running an emulation.  Either
>
> No, the system calls are as far as I know fine, it is just that pioctl
> uses ioctl, which doesn't interpret the contents of the blobs it passed
> back and forth.

I see.  It's venus that fails to provide binary compat, and it has no
idea that the client is from a foreign architecture.

> And cfs/venus probably use long integers in some of the structures, so a
> 32-bit cfs binary cannot talk to a 64-bit venus and vv.

And while it would be nice to have these all be fixed-width types,
probably a number of them are OS-specific types, which are not the same
size on all architectures.   So the likely conclusion is that you need
cfs/venus built consistently, which seems like a restriction that causes
no trouble.