Coda File System

Coda git repository available

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:59:51 -0400
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 03:57:59PM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 02:39:32PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >
> > Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com> writes:
> >
> > On 20011-03-11, I sent a patch to adapt coda to modern NetBSD.  On
> > 6.9.5, this patch is still in pkgsrc.  Is there some problem with
> > applying it?  (The patch file has a new name, but it's the same bits.)
> >
> > (Also, is there anybody here?)
>
> Yes someone is here.
>
> Haven't checked yet if the patch is applied to CVS, but I have a couple
> of emails with Coda related patches that were sent to codalist and me
> privately tagged to be applied.

APPLIED! After only about 5 years, that must be a new record somewhere.
Anyway, now I have to go and look for those other Coda related patches.

And all of this is made possible because,

> I figured I'd apply them after the CVS -> Git conversion was complete
> and then release a new Coda version with the state of things. I've
> scripted the whole conversion process with reposurgeon and stopped
> trying to 'perfect' the conversion mostly because I seemed to be getting
> stuck on reposurgeon related bugs.

I finally finished the conversion, for a bit tried to finish the
conversion with a newer version of reposurgeon and cvs-fast-export but
they introduced a whole new slew of small issues and didn't actually fix
any of the coloring issues when trying to break apart and piece back
together the fragments of history across 4 CVS and git repositories.

The final check was to pull from CVS whatever was tagged for each Coda
release and any differences have been committed back into the git
repository and tagged with gpg-signed tags, making the tree look a bit
like the following.

    o   <--- regular commits from cvs->git conversion

    | o <--- coda-x.y.z checked out from CVS and tagged as coda-x.y.z
    |/
    o   <--- coda-x.y.z from cvs->git conversion

At some point I stopped trying to manually reconstruct information that
was lost because CVS doesn't track branching and merging or proper author
attribution except for whatever is noted in the commit message, the
original commit messages are still there.

The official Coda git repository is now at

        https://github.com/cmusatyalab/coda

There is no new release yet, I just made the push to finish the conversion
last week and want to make sure there are not any more unapplied patches
floating around, and then I have to dust off/rewrite whatever I used to
use to make releases.