Coda File System

Re: Re (and a patch) : Coda git repository available

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 21:34:45 -0400
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:10:34PM +0200, u-myfx_at_aetey.se wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 02:04:51PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > things like the pioctl in/out structures seem to be defined at the spot
> > of the implementation which makes it very easy to make a change
> > somewhere that is not picked up elsewhere.
> >
> > Considering how many places need to change I'm no longer sure I want to
> > reshuffle and am starting to think that having common pioctl pack/unpack
> > functions in a shared place might be a better approach. Going to have to
> > ponder this a bit.
>
> Nice, thanks for this cleanup!

I don't have a cleanup yet, maybe thank whoever resolves
    https://github.com/cmusatyalab/coda/issues/1.

I am busy trying to get binary builds working again. The library dance
is all coming back to me,

    - build tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
    - build lwp library as deb and rpm packages for 32 and 64 bit.
      (really should build separate versions for each stable and lts
       distribution wheezy, jessie, trusty, wily, xenial, fc-22, fc-23,
       rhel-6, rhel-7, but that is 18 different combinations and it
       doesn't cover freebsd/netbsd and such for which I don't even have
       build VMs set up)
    - find a problem in the rpm build.

    - rebuild tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
    - build lwp library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
    - push lwp into private repos.
    - build rpc2 library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
    - discover a problem with how rpc2 or lwp was built or packaged, go
      back to the beginning.

    - rebuild tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
    - build lwp library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
    - push lwp into private repos.
    - build rpc2 library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
    - push rpc2 into private repos.
    - build rvm library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
    - push rvm into private repos.
    - discover that I somehow managed to not install the right lwp
      library on the build host so I have to rebuild rpc2 and rvm and
      push new versions.

It doesn't help that the packaging files are part of the source tree so
any packaging problem requires a rebuild of the source archive, that was
probably mistake #1. The fact that any scripts I used to use are no
longer working as I moved to a new desktop at least twice since the last
release. Right now it is actually easier and far more reliable to just
build from git than it is to build these packages from source tarballs.