Coda File System

Re: Re (and a patch) : Coda git repository available

From: <u-myfx_at_aetey.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 18:31:27 +0200
On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:18:46AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 09:56:08AM +0200, u-myfx_at_aetey.se wrote:
> > This kind of effort is not necessary, honestly.
> >
> > My 1 cent...
>
> Actually, it is vital for the overall health of the project. I would not
> have found out that when librpc2 build with the lua extensions that we
> have to add libm as a library dependency and various other things.

It is in practice virtually unseen that some upstream source builds
out-of-the-box on every usable distribution and gets it "just right".

My concern is that your time is invaluable for hacking on Coda internals,
preferably not on idiosyncrasies of different environments.

But this is your time and your decisions.

> The same reason why building on a different architecture (arm) or with a
> different compiler (clang) can surface hidden problems.

Every benefit has its cost...

Hope you soon will be done with this packaging jungle!

Best regards,
Rune