Coda File System

Re: Coda development

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 10:40:08 -0400
Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Anyhow, it allowed me to take a step back and look at Coda from a
> different perspective and the one thing that adds a lot of complexity
> and ultimately causes every single server-server conflict is
> replication. Now optimistic replication is totally awesome and Coda has
> proven that it can be made to work well enough to have a usable system
> for users that are not afraid to repair the occasional conflict.

The notion that server replication is causing more problems than it
solves sounds sensible.  Especially if there is some way to have the
server storage replicated and a way to turn on a failover server using
the backend data.

I have only ever had one server.  So my repair issues have not even been
this; I think they are just the many little bugs that have mostly gotten
fixed.