Coda File System

Re: How to run coda with a server/cell behind a dynamic DNS (DDNS) name and a client in the internet?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:43:40 -0400
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 08:48:29PM +0200, Karl-Philipp Richter wrote:
> internet. The cell is identified by it's domain name `richtercloud.de`
> which is a dynamic DNS (DDNS) address updated in a reliable time (< 2
> minutes over night when I didn't do any connection attempts so far). I
> am very sure that the issue(s) described below isn't caused DDNS name
> resolution problems.
>
> Is it possible to use coda in the above described scenario? The ancestor
> of coda OpenAFS requires a fixed IPv4 address which makes it unusable
> for non-millionaires which cannot buy some of the few addresses
> available for sale.

Coda has the same problem, when a server is started it resolves it's
hostname to an IPv4 address and uses that when a client request the
volume location information.

Additionally, clients very agressively cache these IPv4 addresses so
they will keep trying to connect to the old IPv4 long after your DDNS
has been updated.