Coda File System

Re: Re: FUSE, again

From: Brett Lymn <brett.lymn_at_baesystems.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 08:37:10 +1030
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 05:55:40PM +0100, u-x417_at_aetey.se wrote:

> (Don't most file systems need their specific kernel modules? Good or not
> but isn't this the status quo?)

A lot of them are tradition... I am pretty sure that NFS on Linux is all
userland.

> > NetBSD has just discussed whether to
> > remove coda kernel support, as it has almost no users.  For now, it is
> > staying.
>
> Oh! I depend on Coda being available on NetBSD. Hope it continues to.

Well, there is at least one developer that uses it....So lossage get
noticed at some point, depending on how much hack time they have.

> This is imho what really should be fixed, FUSE or not.
>
> With all due and enormous respect to the early developers, this
> communication channel is flaky, both in design (ioctl is a really bad
> tool, given that we handle a pure IPC/RPC between user processes and
> venus; the only role of the kernel is to help process authentication,
> not having to be aware of the data to be passed) and as a result also
> flaky in the implementation.

No, the kernel module does a lot more than that, at least on NetBSD,
the kernel module hooks into the UFS code to perform directory
processing and a few other things.  In fact this hooking resulted in a
very long standing bug in the NetBSD venus process where coda and ufs
disagreed on the size of a directory block size - this caused directory
entries to "disappear".

> Frankly I doubt whether FUSE would make a big difference. We have already
> kernel support for Coda in Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD. Which platform would
> you look forward to, which has a usable FUSE but a different kernel than
> one of the above?
>

>From wikipedia - OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, Minix 3, Android, MacOS.

If FUSE support was built into venus then, potentially, coda would be
able to run on these operating systems too... I don't know how useful it
would be but Coda on a phone would be pretty cool ;)

--
Brett Lymn
This email has been sent on behalf of one of the following companies within the BAE Systems Australia group of companies:

    BAE Systems Australia Limited - Australian Company Number 008 423 005
    BAE Systems Australia Defence Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 006 870 846
    BAE Systems Australia Logistics Pty Limited - Australian Company Number 086 228 864

Our registered office is Evans Building, Taranaki Road, Edinburgh Parks,
Edinburgh, South Australia, 5111. If the identity of the sending company is
not clear from the content of this email please contact the sender.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy or
disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and highlight
the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.