Coda File System

Re: can coda do mirrored file servers?

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:55:46 -0500
paul witta wrote:

> hi!
>
> i have a filespace that has to be up 100% of the time. can i do this
> by mirroring the filespace to two servers and using coda in the
> clients accessing it?

Yes.

> how fast do write operations propagate ( i would need a thruput of
> about 4 mbyte/sec in up to 100 small transactions).

You'll have to try.  Bulk transfers are pretty good, small transactions
are a bit slow at the moment.

> could i also set up the servers using coda for mirroring and go to the
> clients thru nfs?

You could run NFS on two Coda clients  - but with a lot of write traffic
you might see a performance problem.

> could i also skip the serves and make my unix-boxes run coda itself so
> that those three machines (which should be synchroniezd in the
> filespace directory) keep themselves updated all the time?

Yes if Unix = Linux or NetBSD or FreeBSD or Win9x.  But you will need
one server.

I recommend you give it a try!

- Peter -