Coda File System

Re: group permission

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:35:14 -0400
> map_at_stacken.kth.se said:
> | > We find /coda/tmp really handy around our cluster.  No tokens
> | > needed, available everywhere.
> |
> | (religious comment: this is just plain wrong)

How can an experience "we find" be wrong?  It would indeed take religion
to object to that.  Many of us use /coda/tmp with pleasure to transport
something from one machine to another.

With the email situation: of course what you suggest is technically
superior.  I'm not contesting that.

However, I'd be surprised if many systems would switch over to this new
model because of Coda/Arla or whatever. I suspect that less than 0.1% of
current Unix systems delivers mail in the form you describe.  I'm
interested in reaching the other 99.9% - I don't feel I need to prove I
have better solutions.

So my points are entirely political to give Coda the best chance in the
world out there, not to engineer the best possible solutions.

- Peter -

> | Do you have a need for sticky bits there?
>
> I completely agree with the observation that a directory for scratch
> files etc. (like the local /tmp in unix system) is plain wrong in a
> distributed fs. The only justifiably case would possibly be a diskless
> client, but even there every client would have it's own
/tmp-<hostname>.