Coda File System

Re: multiple CODA servers spread over a WAN

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 20:13:00 -0400
Michael Rothwell wrote:

> What is the current scalability?

~10G max per server.

> More info;
> Can a coda client also be a coda server?

Yes, but then you must run both the server and the client software on
that machine and the files from the server will still be copied into the
cache. It becomes pretty slow.

Only a Coda client can access Coda files; you cannot go into the server
space directly.

The point I'm trying to make is that a Coda client has all the
availability characteristics you want.  Use ONE Coda server and for each
office a Coda client on which you run Samba.

Clients have disconnected operation, so continue to work when the server
or net is down.  They also reintegrate changes to the server keeping a
single image consistent across all machines.

- Peter -