Coda File System

Re: Filesharing between Users

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 18:09:41 -0400
On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 01:21:45PM +0200, Walter Christian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am quite new to coda, so please don't flame me if this question sounds
> stupid. I want to make something like a standard unix tempdirectory
> (1777), so that all users can write into it, but an other user can't
> delete it.
> I tried the following:
>  i created a volume p.usershare with the rights rlidw for the System:Users
> group, we all my users reside. The first part works fine, so that all
> users can write into the directory. But the problem is, that any User
> which belongs to the System:Users group can delete the files. (I also
> tried chmod on the files the user creates).
>
> Greetings,
> 	Walter Christian

Hi Walter,

Venus only uses the directory ACL's to evaluate access to files, and not
the modeflags, so the `sticky' flag on the directory is ignored as well.
There was a whole discussion about this subject around the end of april
this year (subject: group permission). Ofcourse nobody implemented
either the using the owner+modeflags/sticky bit or sticky ACL ideas.

So for now a shared directory is truly `shared', hoping that the users
are not hostile towards each other.

Jan

refs:
listarchive http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist-1999/date.html