Coda File System

hardlinking between directories

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master_at_internexus.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:17:58 -0500 (EST)
For some reason I get the following error when making a hardlink to a file
in a different directory:

	Cannot create hard link, "Invalid cross-device link"

Checking the venus source I see theres a verifyname call that makes sure
the file can't have any dots or slashes in it. This is in
vproc_vfscalls.cc, in the ::link function. I took out the NAME_NO_CONFLICT
option here but it didn't help :(

Is there any reason why hardlinks only work in the current directory at
the moment? Am I the only one with this problem? I believe Maildir format
(for email) requires hardlinking like this to work, as it moves files
between the tmp, new, and cur directories.

I've grepped all over the place for the text cross-device, and I can't
seem to find it. I'm guessing its in the glibc sources.. I'm using
glibc2.2.1, linux 2.2.6, coda5.3.3.

Also, is there an easy way to tail the /usr/coda/LOG file? Theres a call
to LOG() at the top of this ::link function, and I think it might provide
some useful information.