Coda File System

Re: rdsinit death

From: Tom Tarka <tommy_at_mp3.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:39:44 -0800
Robin Gareus wrote:

> > my rdsinit is dying when I try to initialize an rvm data segment of 315M.
> > When I tried it again at 22M, it worked fine (trying again w/ 200M now).
> >
> > Any hints?
> As far as I know Coda keeps a in memory-copy of the complete RVM partition.
> Correct me if I'm wrong: After rdsinit zeroed the data partition, the
> rds_zap_heap is used to create a segment/heap stucture on the new RVM
> partition and thereby also needs a lot of memory.
>
> So may it be, that you have too less RAM/Swap for a 315M Partition?
> Watch a "top" or /proc/meminfo while initialising the RVM and see what
> happens.

I did this and didn't see anything too out of place.  It didn't look like I
was running out of
memory, and with 505M swap and coda not started up (therefore not taking up
any memory),
this shouldn't be an issue, right?  But the fact that I could get it to
initialize a
130M Data partition, but not 200M or 315M sure does sound like a memory issue
though, doesn't it?

I'm thinking about adding more ram to make the server perform a little better,
anyway,
so I'll give it a go after that.

    -t