Coda File System

Re: Non-tiny files unavailable

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:36:29 -0400
On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 07:54:25AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Masquerading support would be cool, in the twisted sense of making
> something that fundamentally isn't a good idea work anyway.

Another solution which might be simpler to implement is to implement
SFTP as a normal RPC2 subsystem and use the RPC2-ports/demux for all
communication. It does require some weird additions/changes to RPC2,
such as RPC2_SendUnreliably ;)

> While thinking about masquerading, another sick thought arose: what if
> Coda (rpc2?) could run over http as a transport mechanism?  It seems
> that with the proliferation of firewalls, http is the new end-to-end
> protocol.

Actually this did come up during one of the weekly meetings. Use http's
GET and POST, stick the version vectors etc. into the mime-headers
(X-Coda-VersionVector). And mount any web-site as if it is a
non-replicated, read-only Coda volume. Yeah, it is a truly sick idea.

I guess that people who have to manage the firewall would really hate it.

> Also, has anyone tried to add ipv6 support for coda?

Looked at it but it is a lot of work. I've got a version of rpc2 here
that has replaced just about all the unsigned long's with struct
in_addr, which would be a first step. Correctly modifying venus and vice
would require massive amounts of changes all over the code including
the rpc2 protocol between clients and servers.