Coda File System

Moving RVM and LOG partitions to a new disk

From: Douglas C. MacKenzie <doug_at_mobile-intelligence.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:29:35 -0400
I need to move my RVM and LOG partitions to a different disk drive
and I would like to expand the RVM size at the same time.
What is the procedure?

I'm thinking about taking down the clients, using backup to dump the
volumes to a unix partition, reinitializing the server with the new
RVM and LOG partitions and sizes, and then restoring the backed-up
volumes.
Will that work?  Is that the easiest method?

I currently only have a single server running. Can the RVM data sizes
differ on different servers?  If so, would it work to add a second
server with a larger RVM data size, take down the old one, reinit it
with a larger RVM size, bring it back up, and use the ls -r method to
regenerate its local copies of the volumes using the larger RVM?

I'm currently running Coda version 5.3.7-1 on RedHat Linux 6.2
Is it worth trying to also upgrade to 5.3.9 during this process,
or just wait for RedHat 7.0?

--
Douglas C. MacKenzie, Ph.D.
Mobile Intelligence Corporation