Coda File System

replication and reduncy

From: Josh Logan <joshl_at_internap.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:11:43 -0700 (PDT)
I'm trying to setup a system where I have two local servers with
replicated volumes.  One is the scm and the other non-scm.

When I stop the scm server I loose the connection to both servers.
Nor can I start up a new venus, even if it only points to the replicated
server.  If I isolate the server filcon isolate -s <scm> the running
clients seem to work fine, but I still can not start up a new client.

I have not tried the opposit, where I stop the non-scm machine.

I guess I don't see how multiple servers and client are supposed to
interace.  I run venus-setup <non-scm>,<scm> 20000 to add both
servers.  BTW, I'm running the 5.3.9 release.

I'm also unsure of the format for /vice/db/VSGDB
The documentation on http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~florin/coda/servers.html
just lists each volume and all the servers on one line.  The documentation
at http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/coda-howto-4.html looks like one
line per server, and one with all servers?

In the end I'm wanting to replicate to 3+ machines.  2 locally and 1
remote (different city), and have the client know about all local machines
for failover.  What is the best way to setup coda in this fassion.

							Later, JOSH