Coda File System

Re: libdb

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:09:41 -0500
On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 07:23:47PM -0600, john smith wrote:
> i'm trying to build the latest coda SRPM, however when configure looks for
> libdb, i get the following errors.  i'm running redhat 7.0.  i've installed
> the db[1-3] packages, but i get this everytime
>
> checking location of liblwp... default
> checking location of librvm... default
> checking location of librpc2... default
> checking for main in -ltermcap... yes
> checking for main in -lncurses... yes
> checking if curses library requires -ltermcap... no
> checking location of libreadline... default
> checking for dbopen in -ldb... no
> checking for dbopen in -lc... no
> checking for dbm_open in -lc... no
> configure: error: failed to find libdb
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.62984 (%build)

Could you send me the config.log file? I wonder why it isn't trying to
find libdb1. This sleepycat/glibc marriage is going too far. I will
probably phase out any libdb usage in Coda pretty soon, it is a source
for too many problems. Just look at configs/coda_macros.m4 the check for
CODA_CHECK_DB185, I don't really want to make that macro more convoluted.

And Coda isn't the only project that is facing these problems, I believe
the Samba project already developed and switched to their own simple
database, "tdb".