Coda File System

Re: libdb

From: Daniele Palumbo <rocco_at_rimini.no-ip.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:17:26 +0200
At 13.57 01/04/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:17:10PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > Er ... has libdb disappeared from the most recent Coda CVS?  I can't
> > log in and ldd (this is a Debian Linux system) says libdb is not linked.
>
>Well it became virtually impossible to maintain code based on libdb
>1.85. Redhat 8.0 and Debian-unstable only provide a precompiled version
>for backward compatibility reasons,-cut-

also note that cygwin does not have libdb1.85.
so you can't compile also on all the possible client of the system
(remember, alpha-7 means instable ;).
<myopinion> the port to various windows version of the *client* is
important, for example a user, from home, can mount it and work. yes tere
are samba, but you must open 137+139+various ports and the client is really
vulnerable... </myopinion>

>I looked at various solutions, such as including db1.85 in the Coda
>sources or using one of the other databases that is still being
>developed. -cut-

if i remember correctly, you wrote also another post about "leave libdb1.85"

>There are still some optimizations left that I can use in the server.
>Right now the database is reopened for every lookup, which is unnecessary.
>rwcdb already has checks whether the underlying database file was
>updated and only reopens it when necessary.

infact, apart from libdb header, IMHO, the port to another db system will
help the system to be faster.

>Jan

Daniele