Coda File System

Re: mount system call failing

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:36:48 -0400
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:34:59PM -0500, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
> 18:16:14 Getting Root Volume information...
> 18:16:14 Venus starting...
> 18:16:14 CHILD: mount system call failed. Killing parent.
>
> Killed

There might be some more information in /usr/coda/etc/venus.log. But it
is most likely a server problem, so check /vice/srv/SrvLog|SrvErr on the
servers. It could be that the initial rootvolume doesn't exist, or has
the wrong name, or the server hostnames don't resolve correctly, or...

> I am running Coda 5.3.13 on a Redhat 6.2 system (Linux 2.2).  Is it
> important that it says "Kernel version ioctl failed"?  Why is the
> mount failing?  Can someone please help me?

No, at some point we introduced a new ioctl on /dev/cfs0 so that venus
can query the version of the kernel module. If the new ioctl fails, it
simply avoids using some new stuff.

> I also tried to connnect to testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu, and i get the
> following:
> 18:20:14 Getting Root Volume information...
> 18:20:29 GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!
> 18:20:59 GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!
>
> As the manual said, I checked /etc/services and it seems ok.  There is a
> firewall here, and that could be part of the problem connecting to
> testserver, but it should have no bearing on my own servers.

Make the following change in /etc/coda/venus.conf

- #masquerade=0
+ masquerade=1

This way venus and the codaserver will not use a separate port-pair for
the side-effects and it should get you through the firewall.