Coda File System

Re: volutil getvolumelist doesn't match VRList

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:53:34 -0400
On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 12:15:50PM -0700, Randy Harmon wrote:
> I then created a new volume 'ftwo', just to see if I could.  Sure
> enough, it allowed me.  Now volutil info root-vol spits out some
> information, and gives me information also about the new volume I
> created.  However, `volutil info test1` still returns unknown RPC
> return code 103.
>
> VRList sez:
>
>     ftw 7f000000 1 1000001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
                     ^^^^^^^
>     test1 7f000001 1 1000002 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
>     ftwo 7f000002 1 1000001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
                      ^^^^^^^

Interesting. First of all, these volume are just singly replicated
volumes. Second of all, after restarting the server it started creating
volume with volume-id's that should already have existed. Does the
server even report attaching the ftw.0 and test1.0 volumes during
startup?

> Uh... where's my root-vol?  Is what I'm wondering.
>
> I hope that this report is detailed enough to show what I did and to
> maybe reproduce the problem there at CMU.

It looks like the whole creation of the volume was 'forgotten about'
and when the server was restarted it simply started back from ground
zero. Now this kind of information is stored in RVM, which has a pretty
decent track record for not losing such important data, so this could be
a kernel or filesystem dependent issue.

What kernel version are you using.
Are RVM log and data stored in files or on partitions.
And if it is as files what filesystem are you using.
Also is the mapprivate option turned on or off in /etc/coda/server.conf.