Coda File System

Re: volutil getvolumelist doesn't match VRList

From: Randy Harmon <rjh_at_fortheweb.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:21:38 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Harkes" <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 12:15:50PM -0700, Randy Harmon wrote:
> > I then created a new volume 'ftwo', just to see if I could.  Sure
> > enough, it allowed me.  Now volutil info root-vol spits out some
> > information, and gives me information also about the new volume I
> > created.  However, `volutil info test1` still returns unknown RPC
> > return code 103.
> >
> > VRList sez:
> >
> >     ftw 7f000000 1 1000001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
>                      ^^^^^^^
> >     test1 7f000001 1 1000002 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
> >     ftwo 7f000002 1 1000001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
>                       ^^^^^^^
>
> Interesting. First of all, these volume are just singly replicated

Figured I'd get one machine working before doing the second machine -
I think that's what you're referring to, yes?

> volumes. Second of all, after restarting the server it started
creating
> volume with volume-id's that should already have existed. Does the
> server even report attaching the ftw.0 and test1.0 volumes during
> startup?

Right, I'm not getting any logging from the server until I tell it to
shutdown, which I didn't figure was related.

> > Uh... where's my root-vol?  Is what I'm wondering.

So, the client was able to mount /coda, but I'm not sure why - maybe
it just grabbed the only volume it knew of.

> > I hope that this report is detailed enough to show what I did and
> > maybe reproduce the problem there at CMU.
>
> It looks like the whole creation of the volume was 'forgotten about'
> and when the server was restarted it simply started back from ground
> zero. Now this kind of information is stored in RVM, which has a
pretty

Uh, stored in RVM, you say.  right.  Well, I <blush> told Venus to use
the same RVM stuff as the server before realizing that I needed to let
Venus be file-based for its RVM.  CAUTION, says venus.conf - don't do
that.  Ahem.

I'm still curious about RPC return codes #22 and 103 - I'd love to see
volutil and et cetera report more clearly what's going on in these
cases, if reasonable.

I've blown away all the data to restart the configuration, and I've
had much better success.  Only trouble I'm seeing now is this report
when we first create the root volume:

    VolSetLogParms failed with Unknown RPC2 return code 103

Maybe that's normal and happens to everybody?  Creating another test
volume right away doesn't have such a message, FYI.  Again, a more
useful message would be sweet.

> decent track record for not losing such important data, so this
could be
> a kernel or filesystem dependent issue.
>
> What kernel version are you using.

2.2.19, FWIW

> Are RVM log and data stored in files or on partitions.

server RVM on partitions, venus RVM on ext2.

> And if it is as files what filesystem are you using.
> Also is the mapprivate option turned on or off in
/etc/coda/server.conf.

Didn't touch that - so, off.

Thank you for your support.

Randy