Coda File System

repair tool trouble

From: Ryan M. Lefever <lefever_at_crhc.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 03:13:03 -0600 (CST)
I am having some problems using the repair tool.  I have 3 machines, each
with a server and a client.  I have a replicated volume coda.testvol
mounted at /coda/testvol.  I am trying to isolate 1 client and perform
operations on the client that will conflict with the rest of the system
when the client is brought back into the network.  Here is a summary of
what I'm doing:

On machine A:
>filcon isolate -c A
>mkdir /coda/testvol/dir

On machine B:
>mkdir /coda/testvol/dir

On machine A:
>filcon clear -c A
>cfs checkservers

Then on machine A, this makes /coda/testvol a symbolic link, indicating a
conflict.  So, I perform the following:

>$ repair
>repair > beginrepair /coda/testvol
>No such replica vid=0xffffffff
>Could not allocate replica list
>beginrepair failed.
>repair > quit

Then, /coda/testvol now exists as a directory, and there is now a
/coda/testvol/global symbolic link and directories named
/coda/testvol/local & /coda/testvol/dir.  So, I try repair again:

>$ repair
>repair > beginrepair /coda/testvol
>Could not allocate new repvol: Not leftmost conflict: Object not in
conflict
>beginrepair failed.
>repair > beginrepair /coda/testvol/global
>VIOCGETVOLSTAT  failed
>Could not allocate replica list
>beginrepair failed.

At this point I do not know what to do, and I am forced to reinitialize
venus on machine A and purge coda.testvol.  As a side question, why is the
creation of directory dir in 2 different network partitions a conflict
that must be manually repaired?  Why isn't it automatically resolved?
Also, where can I find out exactly what kinds of operations result in
automatically resolvable conflicts and which do not?

Thanks,
Ryan