Coda File System

pushing the limits

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:28:20 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello!

As far as I know, the developers are aware of the problem (below) and its
causes.

Anyway, I want to provide some additional input.

As I am evidently pushing the limits, maintaining tens of thousands files
on Coda and worst of all updating as many files at once, sometimes,
I run into a barrier...

cfs strong; cfs wf -on; find /local/dir | cpio -pvdm /coda/dir

goes for a while then the server is "growing a small list" taking a break
on answering the client => the client is thrown into write-disconnected
mode, or even disconnected mode, rapidly accumulating updates in the
log...
Then the server wakes up and the client tries to reintegrate, while the
server tends to take breaks for growing the lists.

The net result: a conflict somewhere in the middle of the updates,
doubled "create" transaction or something like that.

Even if I repair and discard conflicting changes, the chances that the
rest of reintegration goes well are not big - very often venus doesn't
like that life any more and dies with Signal 11 after several hundred
successfully reintegrated records...

<Sigh>

Hope a solution comes ... :-)

Regards,