Coda File System

Re: CVS repositories on Coda

From: Brian Widdas <brian_at_widdas.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:26:16 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Ivan Popov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have tried to look in the archives but that did not help much.
>
> Does somebody have CVS repositories on Coda, and if so, how much disaster
> cause possible file update conflicts? I mean accessing the repository via
> the filesystem, not pserver or ssh. I mean also team-style updates, not by
> one and only host and user.
>
> I would assume that if one keeps the servers up and connection strong,
> there should be no Coda conflicts, and file creation would be an atomic
> operation, allowing cvs put the lockfile-style locks properly.

I'm a bit confused - if you have strong connections, and you're going to
be updating the repository from several computers, doesn't this seem like
you're trying to reinvent the wheel?

It seems to me like you're trying to make Coda do something with CVS when
it would probably be easier and safer to let CVS (with pserver or ssh) do
the job it's been designed for.

Brian
--