Coda File System

Re: CVS repositories on Coda

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:11:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Brian!

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Brian Widdas wrote:

> I'm a bit confused - if you have strong connections, and you're going to
> be updating the repository from several computers, doesn't this seem like
> you're trying to reinvent the wheel?

Hmm. Reinvent the wheel? I am trying to use a sunlight-powered
ecological wheel with a veteran car :)

> It seems to me like you're trying to make Coda do something with CVS when
> it would probably be easier and safer to let CVS (with pserver or ssh) do
> the job it's been designed for.

Sure. But if filesystem can do the things instead of ssh, I'd prefer to
use the filesystem. Or may be somebody else would.

We are using CVS on DFS and it works wonderfully, then we do *not* have to
use ssh as a substitute for RPCs :)
It is not always convenient to arrange transparent ssh logins, and it is
far from perfect to have to give a password at each cvs operation.

Filesystem provides server-independency (no hostnames in the picture) and
in case of Coda might provide replication and load distribution. CVS has
limited abilities of those.

Best regards,
--
Ivan