Coda File System

Re: did I miss something?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:14:14 -0500
On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:03:57PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> > (there isn't someway that I could make it "publish" files from my
> > filesystem?)
>
> Alas, your filesystem *lacks* the necessary properties to be able to be
> exported by Coda. No offence meant. Coda offers very special properties
> that are hardly synchronizable with other "access paths", i.e if you'd
> insist on accessing your files via the local filesystem.

Not only that, but the server wouldn't necessarily notice when a user
modifies a file on the 'exported' filesystem. As a result it would not
break callbacks to inform client that a file was updated. And because
the file isn't marked as a newer version, it could be overwritten by a
client that can't tell there is a conflict, server-server resolution
would not propagate this new version to other servers, and depending on
which server a client pulls the file from he would get either the old or
the 'new' version.

The Coda fileserver simply needs to manage addition, deletion, and
modification of all files in Coda's namespace to be able to guarantee
the proper callback semantics and track consistent version information.