Coda File System

Re: Coda files owner and access bits

From: lou <lou_at_0xffff.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:21:14 +0100
In some email I received from Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> on Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:34:32
-0400, wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:22:28PM +0100, lou wrote:
> > while this is still on topic.
> > I've a few coda servers and clients, for testing purpose, but
> > the clients wont authenticate (ie acquire fine user access - clog
> > %user) if the actual volume is not mounted onto /coda, mine is mounted
> > on /test%server_addr, but if i create a sym link from test%server_addr
> > to /coda it works, and i wonder, is this value hardcoded or can be
>
> Hmm, I don't see what you mean with the symlink,
>     ln -s /coda /test%server_addr
oh i mean
ln -sf /coda /test-xxx.yyy.zzz.bbb for example

> Yes, clog, cfs and friends are using a magic 'ioctl' file that is
> located at /coda/.CONTROL. This is somewhat hardcoded, although
> applications 'should' pick up the location of the mountpoint in
> /etc/coda/venus.conf.

yeah it does, it mounts it without any problem, but it looks like
clog doesnt look there for it.

> It looks like you really want the realms version where we use
> /coda/domain.name.foo/ ;)

lol kinda, my intentions are to use coda cell in a huge grid,
for fail-over/redundancy purpose, and it'll be more granulated for the
administrator and for the GRS app, in my case it'd be more like/service/%server_id.

> I am also not sure whether '%s' might be misinterpreted somewhere.
> > fixed with changing something in the conf file (consider that i've
> > also set mountpoint=/test%server_addr). (i prefer asking, rather than
> > diving into the code)
> You could 'strace -o /tmp/trace clog' and grep that for 'CONTROL', it
> should show where it thinks the mountpoint is. I always use /coda, so
> although the mountpoint option is there, I never really used it myself.
> But windows should be using it as it mounts on z:\, so it is at least
> mildly tested.
yeah, since i'm a freebsd user i did ktrace, and yeah it's looking for /coda,
otherwise i says 'Local login only, could not contact venus' or

<snip>
 9630 clog     NAMI  "/coda/.CONTROL"
 9630 clog     RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
</snip>

or it's CODA_STR(); where the defval is '/coda', anyway acording to the code it gets
the mountpoint correctly but it looks like it doesnt use it (except when it gets to
mount()), any pointers?

thanks Jan!

cheers

--

Lou Kamenov	AEYE R&D 	lou.kamenov_at_aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	lou@FreeBSD-bg.org